What to do if you did not receive W-2 from employer?

By | April 3, 2014

What should a taxpayer do if they do not receive a W2 from their employer?



The W-2 is necessary to file taxes if a taxpayer has earned wages. 

This form shows the amount of wages received during the year and the taxes withheld from their wages. It is important that you use this form to ensure that filing a complete and accurate tax. Most employers distribute these forms W-2 to your employees by January 31. If you have not received in mid-February, this is what you should do:


Contact your employer

First ask your employer for a copy of the W-2. You need to have a Form W-2 from all employers you worked with last year. If the employer sent the form, make sure they have the correct address.


Contact the IRS

If you have exhausted all resources and your employer did not send your W-2  by February 15th, contact the IRS for assistance at 1-800-829-1040. You will need to provide the following information when you call:

  • Your name, address, Social Security number, phone number;
  • The employer’s name, address and telephone number;
  • Dates of employment;
  • An estimate of the wages you received and the federal tax withheld in 2013. If possible, take the information from the last paycheck of the year.


Submit Your Tax Return to IRS on Time

If you did not receive your W-2 on time use Form 4852 , Substitute for W-2. Complete the form estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. The IRS may delay the process while the information is verified. If you need more time, you may request a six-month extension to file your federal tax return.


What to do if you did not receive W-2 from employer?

The easiest way is by visiting IRS.gov and use IRS Free File to send e-file the application. You can also mail the Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File a Federal Tax Statement. Be sure to apply before midnight on April 15. You may need to correct your tax return if you receive the W-2 form was missing after filing your return. If the information in the W-2 form is different than originally reported, you will need to file a tax return amended.


File a Form 1040X if you get W-2 After Filing

On occasion, you may receive your missing W-2 after you filed your return using Form 4852, and the information may be different from what you reported on your return. If this happens, you must amend your return by filing a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Tax Topic 154 – Form W-2 and Form 1099-R (What to do if these forms W-2 or 1099-R are incorrect or not received)