Tuition Statement Filing Information 1098-T

By | January 3, 2014

Who Must File Tuition Statements 1098-T?

All eligible educational institutions are required to file a Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, with the Internal Revenue Service for each enrolled student with a reportable transaction during the taxable year. Reportable transactions include payments re- ceived, amounts billed, or refunds made for tuition and related expenses. Also, educational institutions must send copy B of the completed form to students no later than January 31 each year.


Tuition Statement Filing Information 1098-T

An eligible educational institution is any college, university, vocational school or other postsecondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education. It includes virtually all accredited public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately owned profit-making) postsecondary institutions. Certain educational institutions located outside the United States also participate in the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid (FSA) programs.


How to File Tuition Information Statements?

Educational institutions must file electronically if they have 250 or more tuition statements. An important reminder when filling in the forms for electronic filing, be sure to report the student’s enrollment status on this form; put a “1” in any appropriate checkbox, for example in Box 8 if the student was enrolled at least half-time, and in Box 9, if the student was enrolled as a graduate student. Need specific instructions on filing? Visit and search for General Instructions for Certain Information Returns or Instructions for Forms 1098-E and 1098-T. To get free copies of the forms or these instructions, call 1-800-829-3676

Summary: Eligible educational institutions file this form for each student they enroll and for whom a reportable transaction is made. Insurers file this form for each individual to whom they made reimbursements or refunds of qualified tuition and related expenses.


Who gets the 1098-T form?

Schools must send Form 1098-T to any student who paid “qualified educational expenses” in the preceding tax year. Qualified expenses include tuition, any fees that are required for enrollment, and course materials the student was required to buy from the school. If someone else pays such expenses on behalf of the student (like a parent), the student still gets “credit” for them and therefore gets the 1098-T. Schools must send the form to the student by January 31 and file a copy with the IRS by February 28.


Non-Resident Aliens and 1098-T Form and Form 1040-NR

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) does not require universities to file a Form 1098-T for foreign students who are not US residents for tax purposes. This is because non-resident alien students are not eligible for education tax benefits. However,  universities cannot definitively determine which foreign students are residents for tax purposes. Also, the IRS does require  universities to provide a 1098-T to a non-resident alien student who requests one. For these reasons we provide 1098-T forms to all students, including foreign students who may or may not be eligible for an education tax benefit.


IRS Links to Information about Tuition Statement Filing Information 1098-T

Form 1098-T

Instructions for Forms 1098-E and 1098-T (HTML)

General Instructions for Certain Information Returns (Forms 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, and W-2G)