Missing form W-2? The IRS can help

By | February 6, 2016

Missing form W-2? The IRS can help

Most taxpayers receive their forms W-2 at the end of January. Form W-2, wage and tax statement shows your income and the taxes withheld from your wages during the year. You need to file an accurate tax return.


What to do if you do not receive W-2 before February?

If you don’t receive your form for mid-February, this is what you should do:
• Communicate with your employer. Ask for a copy to your employer (or former employer). Be sure to have your correct address.
• If you can get a copy of your employer, call the IRS at 800-8291040 Extensions 2, after February 23. The IRS will send a letter to your employer on your behalf. You will need the following information when you call:
◦ Your name, address, SSN, phone number number;
◦The name of your employer, address, and telephone number;
◦Dates of Employment of employment; and
◦An approximate calculation of wages received federal tax withheld in 2016. Use information from the last pay stub for these amounts.


File Your Tax Return, Even with No W-2

File your return on time. Your tax return generally expires on April 18, 2016. Use the form 4852, substitute for form W-2, statement of wages and taxes (in English), if you did not get your W-2 in time. Click here for an estimate of income and tax withheld as accurately as possible. If you can finish your return deadline, you may request more time to present. Request an extension of six months presenting the form 4868 (SP) application for automatic extension for filing a Federal Declaration of taxes. It can also send a request by e – file for more time or you can do it free with Free File of the IRS.

You may need to correct your tax return if you received W-2 missing after submitting the Declaration. If the W-2 tax information is different from that originally reported, you need to file an amended tax return. Use Form 1040 X, Declaration as amended from the tax Federal on income of the United States (in English), to make the change.


2016 Health Insurance Tax Forms

Important notice: by 2015, there are new forms of health insurance. Starting the year 2016, the majority of taxpayers will receive one or more of the forms related to the health coverage they had in the previous year If it is signed by 2015 for medical coverage through the health insurance market, you should receive form 1095-A, statement of medical coverage of the market, at the beginning of February.

What to do if Health Insurance Forms are Missing?

If registered in other medical coverage in 2015 you will receive new form 1095-B 1095-C offer health coverage and health insurance coverage provided by the employer for the end of March. If you believe that you should receive a form, but it has not reached contact the issuer of the form – the market, your provider coverage or your employer. If you expect to receive a form 1095 – A, must wait to file your taxes for the year 2015 until this form is received. However, it is not necessary to wait the 1095-B or C-1095 forms in order to present.


Every taxpayer has a number of fundamental rights which should be taken into account when dealing with the IRS. These are the rights of the taxpayer. Explore your rights and our obligations to protect them at IRS.gov.