How to Contact the IRS

By | January 14, 2016

Find out about IRS Tax Refund

Where’s My Refund? will give you personalized refund information
The IRS issues more than 9 out of 10 refunds in less than 21 days. Where’s My Refund? has the most up to date information available about your refund. The tool is updated once a day so you don’t need to check more often. IRS representatives can research the status of your refund only if you’ve already checked Where’s My Refund? and it’s been 21 days or more since you filed electronically, more than six weeks since you mailed your paper return, or if Where’s My Refund? directs you to contact us.

Report Suspicious Emails to the IRS

Suspicious emails, phishing, and identity theft
The IRS does not send out unsolicited emails asking for personal information. An electronic mailbox has been established for you to report suspicious emails claiming to have been sent by the IRS.

Report Tax Fraud to the IRS

How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity?
If you have information about an individual or company you suspect is not complying with the tax law, report this activity.


Contact Local IRS Office

Contact Your Local Office
IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers are available for when you believe your issue is best handled face-to-face. Before you visit, check hours and services offered. Return preparation services are no longer available at your local IRS office. Use IRS Free File, free brand-name software that will figure your taxes for you. Or visit the nearest volunteer site for free help preparing and e-filing your tax return.


IRS Mailing Addresses

IRS Mailing Addresses (“Where to File”)
For those who don’t file their federal tax returns electronically, the “Where to File” pages provide mailing addresses for filing all paper tax returns. You may also use your appropriate “Where to File” address for other written correspondence with the IRS.


Contact IRS TAS

Contact Your Taxpayer Advocate
If you have an ongoing issue with the IRS that has not been resolved through normal processes, or you have suffered, or are about to suffer a significant hardship/economic burden as a result of the administration of the tax laws, contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service. We have offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.

Contact IRS to Make Offshore Voluntary Disclosure

How to Make an Offshore Voluntary Disclosure 
Taxpayers wanting to report undisclosed income or assets should come in through the IRS Voluntary Disclosure Program.

Contact IRS Return Preparer Program

Contact the Return Preparer Program
PTIN call center phone numbers. These phone numbers are for tax professionals only and DO NOT provide assistance with individual income tax return or refund issues


Contact International Offices of the IRS

Contact IRS Internationally
International Services: IRS contact information for taxpayers who live outside the United States.