Cancelling Health Insurance Plans
You might want to cancel your plan Market if you get health coverage outside the insurance market – based on employment or a program like Medicare, Medicaid Program or the Children’s Health Insurance (CHIP) plan. You can do this at any time.
- You can cancel your plan for everybody on your application or just certain people.
- You can also cancel your plan without replacing it.
Cancel if you got other health coverage
Act as soon as possible to cancel extra healthcare plans
- Your cancellation can take effect as soon as 14 days from the day you cancel.
- You can also set the date of cancellation for a future date – for example if you know your new coverage begins the first day of the following month.
Be sure not cancel until you know when your new coverage begins. Once you cancel coverage from the Marketplace, you can not re-enroll until the next open enrollment period unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.
How to cancel marketplace insurance coverage
You can cancel coverage in different ways depending on whether you want to cancel your plan for all household members or only some members.
How to cancel coverage for everyone on your application
- Log in to your Marketplace account
- Select “My applications & coverage”
- Select your application under “Your existing applications”
- On the left side of the screen, select “My plans & programs”
- Scroll down and select the red button that says “End all coverage”
- Select an effective date to end your coverage that’s at least 14 days in the future
- Select the red “End/Terminate Coverage” button
A red “Terminated” status should appear above the plan you ended.
You can also cancel your plan by phone. Contact the Marketplace Call Center.
How to cancel coverage for some household members
You may cancel coverage for some household members. You may want to do this if someone gets coverage from another source, such as a job or Medicare, but the rest of the members in the application want to keep. Warning: Cancelling the “subscriber.” The subscriber is usually the person who filled out the application and is buying the plan for a spouse or dependents. If you cancel the subscriber online, you’ll end coverage for everyone on the application. To cancel the subscriber’s coverage but keep the plan for a spouse or dependents, you must contact the Marketplace Call Center. Don’t try to do this online.
Ending your health insurance plan without replacement
You can cancel a plan without replacement market at any time. But there are important things to think about before doing so. You face important health and financial risks if you don’t have health coverage. Learn more about the risks and costs of not having health coverage.
What happens when health insurance is cancelled?
If you cancel your doctor and do not replace plan, you may have to pay a fine for the months of coverage. The fine is higher in 2015 than it was in 2014.