How do I notify the IRS my business address has changed?

By | January 10, 2016

If you move after filing your return, you should have the post office forward mail to your new address. Some post offices do not forward government checks, so you may also want to change your address with the IRS. You can use IRS Form 8822-B, Change of Address to notify them of an address change.


When to use Form 8822-B

Use Form 8822-B to notify the Internal Revenue Service if you changed your business mailing address, your business location, or the identity of your responsible party. Also, any entities that change their address or identity of their responsible party must file Form 8822-B, whether or not they are engaged in a trade or business. If you are a representative signing for the taxpayer, attach to Form 8822-B a copy of your power of attorney. Generally, it takes 4 to 6 weeks to process your address or responsible party change.


Responsible Party and EIN

Change of responsible party. Any entity with an EIN is now required to report a change in its “responsible party” by: (a) completing Form 8822-B as appropriate, including entering the new responsible party’s name on line 8 and the new responsible party’s SSN, ITIN, or EIN on line 9; and (b) filing the completed form with the Internal Revenue Service within 60 days of the change. See Responsible Party, later, for more information


Written statement to address change with IRS Form 8822-B

Send us a signed written statement with your:

  • full name
  • old address
  • new address
  • social security number (or individual taxpayer identification number or employer identification number)

Mail your statement to the address where you filed your last return.


Oral statement to address change with IRS

You can tell us in person or by telephone. We’ll need to verify your identity and address. Please have ready the information we have on file for you, such as:

  • your full name
  • your address
  • your date of birth
  • your social security number (or individual taxpayer identification number or employer identification number)


Electronic Statement to address change with IRS

You can only notify us electronically if your refund check was returned to us. Use Where’s My Refund? to complete your change of address online. You will need your social security number, filing status, and the amount of your refund. For more information, see Understanding your CP31 Notice.

If you filed a joint return, you should provide the information and signatures for both spouses.

If you filed a joint return and you and your spouse have since separated, each of you should notify us of your new, separate address.


Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative

Representatives filing a change of address for a taxpayer by form or written statement must attach a copy of their power of attorney or a Form 2848Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative. Unauthorized third parties cannot change a taxpayer’s address.


Changing Address of IRS Power of Attorney

Any new address you provide to the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) may also update your address of record on file with us based on what the USPS retains in its National Change of Address (NCOA) database. However, even if you notify the USPS, you should still notify us directly as not all post offices forward government checks. If the change of address relates to an employment tax return, the IRS will issue notices of confirmation (Notices 148A and 148B) for the change to both the former and new address. It can take four to six weeks for a change of address request to be fully processed.