Injured Spouse Exception

By | February 23, 2014

There is an injured spouse exception when a joint return is filed and the refund is used to pay one spouse’s past-due child support, spousal support, or a federal debt. This is when the other spouse can be considered an injured spouse. An injured spouse can get a refund for his or her share of the overpayment that would otherwise be used to pay the past-due amount.