Category Archives: Expat Taxes

U.S. Social Security, Medicare, and Self-Employment Taxes for Expats

What do American Expats needs to know about U.S. Social Security, Medicare, and Self-Employment Taxes while they are living abroad? The way Americans living abroad must pay these taxes depends on their employment situation If you are working as an expat of a U.S. corporation, that employer will normally withhold Social Security and Medicare taxes on… Read More »

ITIN for Immigrants

What information do immigrants need to know about getting an ITIN? If you earned income in the United States as a resident, citizen or visitor, you must file a tax return. If you can not obtain a Social Security number, you will need a Personal Identification Number (ITIN) to file your taxes and get important loans.… Read More »

Form 4868: Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

Using the Automatic extension to file – Form 4868 If you need additional time to file your return, you can make the Form 4868: Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (Application for Automatic Extension of time to file the statement of federal income tax of individuals in the U.S.). When using Form 4868, the… Read More »

Exit Authorization and Departure Clearance with Tax Laws

If you are a resident or nonresident alien who goes outside the United States generally have to demonstrate compliance with the laws governing income tax in the United States before leaving the country. This can be done by obtaining IRS approval document output certifying compliance with tax obligations, commonly called “exit permit” or “permit boarding”.   There are six categories of… Read More »

FATCA Form 8938 Tax Filing Info

American expats living abroad in 2013 will have to file a new form with their taxes in 2013. FATCA is a new law aimed at Americans living abroad and foreign banks to cut down on tax evasion. It essentially will give the IRS a view in Americans foreign bank accounts and provide the IRS much… Read More »

New FBAR Form 114 for 2014 replaces TD F 90-22.1

New FinCEN Form 114  replaces Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Account (FBAR), Form TD F 90-22.1. For 2014, there are new FinCEN regulations that revise the rules applicable to taxpayers who must file  FBAR and Form TD F 90-22.1 filings. This is important for taxpayers who submit Reports of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBARs) jointly… Read More »