Category Archives: Expat Taxes

How to Renew ITIN

Some Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) expire at the end of 2016. The IRS issues an ITIN to those who have a filing or reporting requirement but don’t have and are not eligible to get a Social Security number. If you need to renew your ITIN, you should submit a complete application this fall to… Read More »

IRS Help for International Taxpayers

By law, Americans living abroad, as well as many non-U.S. citizens, must file a U.S. income tax return. In addition, key tax benefits, such as the foreign earned income exclusion, are only available to those who file a U.S. return. These online resources and videos are designed to help affected taxpayers understand how these rules… Read More »

IRS Upgrades, Enhances FATCA Registration System

The IRS upgraded the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) Online Registration System, enabling sponsoring entities to register their sponsored entities to obtain a global intermediary identification number. The upgraded system also will allow users to update their information, download registration tables and change their financial institution type. The upgrade also includes an updated jurisdiction… Read More »

FBAR Due June 30 2015

If you have a financial interest in or signature authority over a foreign financial account, including a bank account, brokerage account, mutual fund, trust, or other type of foreign financial account, exceeding certain thresholds, the Bank Secrecy Act may require you to report the account yearly to the Department of Treasury by electronically filing a… Read More »

Form 1042 and Form 1042-S

A withholding requirement relates to an amount required to be deducted and withheld from the payment of income paid to a foreign person. Withholding agents will report payments to foreign persons of U.S. sourced FDAP income and/or income generally subject to withholding using the Forms: Form 1042 Form 042-S, and Form 1042-T The Form 1042, Annual… Read More »

Form W-8ECI exemption from withholding

The W-8ECI is to be used by a foreign person to claim exemption from withholding when the payee has effectively connected income. The form W-8ECI cannot be used by a nonresident alien individual with personal service income. A valid form W-8ECI must include a U.S. TIN or it is invalid. A U.S. TIN is defined… Read More »

Withholding Tax for Nonresident Alien

What should a U.S. employer do when receiving documentation and paperwork from a nonresident alien who has not satisfied all of the requirements of the W-4? Remember: A nonresident alien who fails to file a valid Form W-4 must have federal income taxes withheld at the single status, zero withholding allowances rates. U.S. employers should… Read More »