Business I Worked For Closed and Not W-2 Form

By | February 13, 2014

What happens if the business that you worked for has closed, there is no W-2, and you are having a hard time contacting someone in the business to get the missing W-2 Form?


Business I Worked For Closed and Not W-2 Form

Best way to move forward is to use the YTD numbers on your final paystub (you did keep that, right?) If you wait until late May/Early June, the IRS will have received the W-2 filings from the SSA and you will be able to request a Wage and Earnings transcript – But if the W-2’s were never filed by your former employer, the IRS will have nothing to report to you.


Missing W-2 Form

If you worked as an employee last year, your employer must give you a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. This form shows the amount of wages you received for the year and the taxes withheld from those wages. It’s important that you use this form to help make sure you file a complete and accurate tax return.

Most employers give Forms W-2 to their workers by Jan. 31. If you haven’t received yours by mid-February, here’s what you should do:

  1. Contact your employer.  You should first ask your employer to give you a copy of your W-2. You’ll also need this form from any former employer you worked for during the year. If employers send the form to you, be sure they have your correct address.
  2. Contact the IRS.  If you exhaust your options with your employer and you have not received your W-2, call the IRS at 800-829-1040. You’ll need the following when you call:
    • Your name, address, Social Security number and phone number;
    • Your employer’s name, address and phone number;
    • The dates you worked for the employer; and
    • An estimate of the amount of wages you were paid and federal income tax withheld in 2013. If possible, you can use your final pay stub to figure these amounts.
  3. File on time.  Your tax return is due by April 15, 2014. If you don’t get your W-2 in time to file, use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Estimate your wages and withheld taxes as accurately as you can. The IRS may delay processing your return while it verifies your information.


Filing out Form 4868

If you need more time, you can apply for a six-month extension to file your federal tax return. The easiest way to apply is to visit and use IRS Free File to e-file the extension. You can also mail Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Make sure you file your request by midnight on April 15.

If it turns out you can’t get a W2 from anyone, you should follow these steps:

Basically, the IRS will have you fill out a form 4852 which will replace the W2 based on either your paystub (which you might or might not be able to get) or your best estimates. It is preferable to not file online if you are filing this form for a missing W-2.