Report a Name Change before Filing Taxes

By | April 3, 2014

People will change their names for many reasons. It is absolutely essential that you tell the Social Security Administration (SSA) before filing your tax return with the IRS. Did you change your name last year? Did your dependent have a name change? If the answer to either question is yes, be sure to notify the Social Security Administration before you file your tax return with the IRS. A mismatch between the name shown on your tax return and the SSA records can cause problems in the processing of your return and may even delay your refund.


Report a Name Change before Filing Taxes

This is important because the name on your tax return must match SSA records. Otherwise, you may receive a letter from the IRS about the discrepancy. And if you expect a refund, this may delay it.


Be sure to contact SSA is:

  • You got married or divorced and changed its name.
  • A dependent who you claim had a name change. For example, this would apply if you adopted a child and the child’s surname changed.

File Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security card with the SSA to let them know about a name change. You can get the form at / Spanish by calling 800-772-1213 or at an office of the SSA.

You can file the SS-5 form to a SP-SSA office or by mail. Your new card will have the same Social Security number (SSN) as before but will show your new name.


Name Change for Dependent

Notify the SSA if your dependent renamed. For example, this can happen if adopted a / a child / the child’s surname / a change. If you adopted a / a child / a does not have a social security number, you can use an Id Adoption Taxpayer (ATIN) on their tax return. A ATIN is a temporary number. If you have a foster child who has no SSN, use a taxpayer identification number of temporary adoption ( Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number , or ATIN) on your tax form. You can request an ATIN presenting the IRS Form W-7A  request taxpayer identification number for U.S. adoptions pending. Get the form at or by calling 800-829-3676.


Reporting Changes in Circumstances in 2015

If you purchased coverage through Market Health Insurance you may receive advance payments of the tax credit premium in 2015. If so, be sure to report back to the market throughout the year any change in circumstances, such as renaming, a new direction and a change in income or family size. The report changes to help you receive the proper type and amount of financial assistance and help you avoid receiving too little or too much in advance.