ITIN for Immigrants

What information do immigrants need to know about getting an ITIN?

If you earned income in the United States as a resident, citizen or visitor, you must file a tax return. If you can not obtain a Social Security number, you will need a Personal Identification Number (ITIN) to file your taxes and get important loans.


What is an ITIN (IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification)?

  • The ITIN is an identification number for individuals who can not obtain a Social Security number to file taxes and receive a refund for income retained by the IRS (IRS).
  • People who can not get a Social Security number can get an ITIN despite their immigration status or country of origin. .
  • By law, you can not have an ITIN and SSN .
  • The ITIN is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth place (for example 9XX-7X-XXXX).


Who needs an ITIN?

  • You, your husband / wife or any dependents who can not get a Social Security number must apply for an ITIN to be included in a tax return.
  • If you have dependents living in Mexico or Canada and sends more than 50 percent of the money they need for your expenses, you can apply for an ITIN for each of them and include them on your tax return. This can increase the reimbursement you receive or reduce the amount of tax you owe.


Can I use an ITIN to bank accounts and loans?

  • Some banks, credit unions and financial institutions accept the ITIN to open savings accounts or checking accounts that pay interest. You can also apply for loans to purchase a car or a home with ITIN
  • The ITIN does not authorize work and should not be used to apply for job


How I can apply for an ITIN?

  • Need the Form W-7 , your tax return and an additional form of identification (see list below) to apply for an ITIN.
  • Mail the form and your tax return to the address that is included in the instructions for Form W-7.
  • You will receive a letter in the mail with your ITIN between 6 and 8 weeks after submitting your application (you will not receive a card with your ITIN).


What documents do you need to apply for an ITIN?

  • Original passport (or a certified or notarized copy of passport), 
  • Two of the following documents, which are in effect (including at least one photo ID and an identification of the country of origin):
    • National identification card (with photo, name, current address, date of birth and expiration date)
    • Birth certificate (original or notarized copy)
    • Driver’s license in the United States
    • Driver’s license from their country of origin
    • Identification credential status (U.S.)
    • Credential voting record of their country of origin
    • Military Identification Card U.S.
    • Military identification card from their country of origin
    • Visa
    • Identification card with photo issued by USCIS (Citizenship and Immigration Services)
    • Medical records (dependents under 15 years only)
    • Academic records (only for dependents and / or students under 19 years)


How do I declare my income if I have an ITIN?

If you are reporting the wages you have earned, you must include the social security number listed on the W-2 or 1099 forms you received the income section fill in your tax return. The person who has the ITIN will receive credit for the income declared.