The City of Philadelphia Department of Revenue has partnered with Campaign for Working Families (www.cwfphilly.org), in collaboration with the Mayor’s Office of Community Empowerment and Opportunity (CEO), to increase the availability of free tax preparation services in Philadelphia. Services are available to families that make less than $53,000 and individuals that make less than $20,000.
Free Tax Preparation Locations in Philadelphia
North Central Financial Center
1415 N. Broad Street, Suite 222
Philadelphia, PA 19122
Ebenezer Temple Pentecostal Church
5649 Christian Street
Philadelphia, PA 19143
PathWays PA Main Office
310 Amosland Rd., Holmes, PA
Monday- Thursday 10am-8pm;
Friday 10am–3pm; Saturday 9:30am-3:00pm
620 Engle St., Chester, PA
Wednesday & Thursday, 4-7pm
Women in Transition (WIT)
21 South 12th Street, 6th Floor, Philadelphia, PA
Monday & Thursday, 4pm–7pm
Free Library of Philadelphia Walnut West Branch
201 South 40th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
SEPTA Jefferson Station (Market East) across from Kim’s Newsstand
Market Street between 10th & 12th Streets, Philadelphia, PA
Camden County College
Room CTC 200, 601 Cooper Street, Camden, NJ 08102
Hispanic Family Center
2850 Federal Street, Camden, NJ 08103
To find the closest tax site, click here or call 311
For questions about your tax return, call 215-454-6483
For questions about volunteering, email email@example.com
Other Free Tax Preparation Information in Philadelphia
PathWays PA’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program has assisted thousands of people in Metro Philadelphia to file their tax returns for over 10 years.
PathWays PA’s IRS certified volunteer preparers can prepare your taxes at absolutely no cost to you. This will help you avoid the high fees charged by commercial preparers, saving you hundreds of dollars and enabling you to keep more of your money. Our services are available to individuals and families earning less than $53,000 per year.
How to get Free Tax Return Filed in Philadelphia?
A typical VITA appointment is about 45 minutes, and we offer free tax preparation at locations across the metro Philadephia area. Our tax service features free e-filing and refund direct deposit to help filers receive refunds quickly (generally within 8 -14 days). If you don’t have a bank account, we can help you open a bank account or pre-paid debit card at no cost, for fast refund deposit saving you check cashing fees
The free tax preparation isn’t available to everyone. Like the Earned Income Tax Credit, it’s income based and available to families who earned less than $51,000 in 2012 or for singles with incomes under $20,000. You can also file your taxes at one of 80 KEYSPOTS in Philadelphia that will provide you a computer and high speed internet access.
Free Tax Return Filing
At select tax sites, taxpayers also have an option to prepare their own basic federal and state tax return for free using Web-based tax preparation software with an IRS-certified volunteer to help guide you through the process. This option is only available at locations that list “Self-Prep” in the site listing.
What to bring to IRS VITA Appointment in Philadelphia
- People must bring the following to VITA appointments:
- Proof of identification – Picture ID
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements, if applicable
To find VITA sites beyond Philadelphia, search here, or call the free hotline: 1-800-906-9887.