Important dates for 2016 Health Insurance enrollment
- November 1, 2015: Open Enrollment started — first day you can enroll in a 2016 insurance plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Coverage can start as soon as January 1, 2016.
- December 17, 2015: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start January 1, 2016
- January 1, 2016: 2016 coverage starts for those who enrolled or changed plans by December 17.
- January 15, 2016: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start February 1, 2016
- January 31, 2016: 2016 Open Enrollment ends. Enrollments or changes between January 16 and January 31 take effect March 1, 2016.
What Happens If You Do Not Enroll in Health Insurance Plan?
If you don’t enroll in a 2016 health insurance plan by January 31, 2016, you can’t enroll in a health insurance plan for 2016 unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.
See if you qualify for savings right now for health insurance
Before you apply, you can quickly see if you’ll qualify for savings based on your income. Most people who apply do qualify — this year, about 8 in 10 of the uninsured eligible for Marketplace coverage qualify for savings that lower the cost of their monthly premiums.
Medicaid & CHIP – apply any time
- There’s no limited enrollment period for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). You can apply any time