If you already filed your federal tax return and are due a refund, you can check the status of your refund online, in English or Spanish.
Where’s My Refund? and ¿Dónde está mi reembolso? are interactive tools on the IRS Web site at IRS.gov. Whether you split your refund among several accounts, opted for direct deposit into one account, or asked the IRS to mail you a check, Where’s My Refund? and ¿Dónde está mi reembolso? give you online access to your refund information nearly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Checking the Status of Your Federal Tax Refund
If you e-file, you can get refund information 72 hours after IRS acknowledges receipt of your return. If you file a paper return, refund information will be available within three to four weeks. When checking the status of your refund, have your federal tax return handy. To get your personalized refund information you must enter:
- Your Social Security Number (or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).
- Filing status (Single, Married Filing Joint Return, Married Filing Separate Return, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widow(er)).
- Exact refund amount shown on your tax return.
Once you enter your personal information, you could get several responses, including:
- Acknowledgment that your return was received and is in processing.
- The mailing date or direct deposit date of your refund.
- Notice that the IRS could not deliver your refund due to an incorrect address. In this instance, you can change or correct your address online using Where’s My Refund?
Where’s My Refund? also includes links to customized information based on your specific situation. The links guide you through the steps to resolve any issues affecting your refund. For example, if you do not get the refund within 28 days from the original IRS mailing date shown on Where’s My Refund?, you can start a refund trace online.
Where’s My Refund? is also accessible to visually impaired taxpayers who use the Job Access with Speech screen reader used with a Braille display and is compatible with different JAWS modes.
If you do not have internet access, you can check the status of your refund by calling the IRS TeleTax System at 800-829-4477 or the IRS Refund Hotline at 800-829-1954. When calling, you must provide your or your spouse’s Social Security number, your filing status and the exact refund amount shown on your return.
Refunds are sent out weekly on Fridays. If you check the status of your refund and are not given the date it will be issued, please wait until the next week before checking back.