2017 IRS Income Tax Brackets, Tax Rates, and Standard Deduction

The IRS will update tax brackets each year for inflation. The 2017 tax brackets were updated to account for inflation and other factors. They are not that different from the 2016 tax brackets as inflation in the United States has been very low.


2017 IRS Tax Brackets

The IRS released the 2017 tax brackets (a tabled breakdown of the IRS federal income tax rates) and standard deduction amounts. There will be a number of inflation adjustments over the 2016 tax brackets and standard deductions. Granted, the changes are minimal, given a CPI increase of less than 1% this past year. Thus, the following 2017 IRS income tax brackets are very similar to the 2016 income tax bracket amounts.


Married Individuals Filing Joint Returns and Surviving Spouses 2017 Tax Bracket

If Taxable Income Is… The Tax Is…
Not over $18,650 10% of the taxable income
Over $18,650 but not over $75,900 $1,865 plus 15% of the excess over $18,550
Over $75,900 but not over $153,100 $10,452.50 plus 25% of
the excess over $75,900
Over $153,100 but not over $233,350 $29,752.50 plus 28% of
the excess over $153,100
Over $233,350 but not over $416,700 $52,222.50 plus 33% of the excess over $233,350
Over $416.700 but not over $470.700 $112,728 plus 35% of the excess over $470,700
Over $470,700 $131,628 plus 39.6% of
the excess over $470,700


Head of Households 2017 Tax Bracket

If Taxable Income Is… The Tax Is…
Not over $13,350 10% of the taxable income
Over $13,350 but not over $50,800 $1,335 plus 15% of the excess over $13,350
Over $50,800 but not over $131,200 $6,952.50 plus 25% of the excess over $50,800
Over $131,200 but not over $212,500 $27,052.50 plus 28% of the excess over $131,200
Over $212,500 but not over $416,700 $49,816.50 plus 33% of the excess over $212,500
Over $416,700 not over $444,500 $116,258.50 plus 35% of the excess over $416,700
Over $444,500 $126,950 plus 39.6% of the excess over $444,500

Unmarried Individuals (other than Surviving Spouses and Heads of Household) 2017 Tax Bracket:

If Taxable Income Is… The Tax Is…
Not over $9,325 10% of the taxable income
Over $9,325 but not over $37,950 $932.50 plus 15% of the excess over $9,325
Over $37,950 but not over $91,900 $5,226.25 plus 25% of the excess over $37,950
Over $91,900 but not over $191,650 $18,713.75 plus 28% of the excess over $91,900
Over $191,650 but not over $416,700 $46,643.75 plus 33% of the excess over $191,650
Over $416,700 but not over $418,400 $120,910.25 plus 35% of the excess over $416,700
Over $418,400 $121,505.25 plus 39.6% of the excess over $418,400

The Federal income tax has 7 brackets: 10%, 15%, 25%, 28%, 33%, 35%, and 39.6%. The amount of tax you owe depends on your income level and filing status. It’s important to understand that moving into a higher tax bracket does not mean that all of your income will be taxed at a higher rate. Instead, only the money that you earn within a particular bracket is subject to that particular tax rate.

2017 Standard Deduction

The standard deduction for single taxpayers and married couples filing separately is $6,350 in 2017, up from $6,300 in 2016; for married couples filing jointly, the standard deduction is $12,700, up $100 from the prior year; and for heads of households, the standard deduction is $9,350 for 2017, up from $9,300.

For 2017, the additional standard deduction amount for the aged or the blind is $1,250. The additional standard deduction amount is increased to $1,550 if the individual is also unmarried and not a surviving spouse.

For 2017, the standard deduction for a taxpayer who can be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer cannot exceed the greater of (a) $1,050 or (b) $350 + the dependent’s earned income.

Aside from the standard deductions, there are income tax exemptions that can be claimed, whether you itemize your taxes or take the standard deduction. You can take one exemption for yourself unless you can be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer. If another taxpayer is entitled to claim you as a dependent, you cannot take an exemption for yourself even if the other taxpayer doesn’t actually claim you as a dependent.


2017 Personal Exemption

The personal exemption amount for 2017 is $4,050, the same as 2016. However, the exemption is subject to a phase-out that begins with adjusted gross incomes of $261,500 ($313,800 for married couples filing jointly). It phases out completely at $384,000 ($436,300 for married couples filing jointly). Phaseouts will apply to people making certain amounts of income.


2017 Earned Income Tax Credit

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) for 2017 – The maximum 2017 EITC amount available is $6,318 for taxpayers filing jointly who have 3 or more qualifying children. The revenue procedure has a table providing maximum credit amounts for other categories, income thresholds, and phase-outs. The “earned income amount” is the amount of earned income at or above which the maximum amount of the earned income credit is allowed. The “threshold phaseout amount” is the amount of adjusted gross income (or, if greater, earned income) above which the maximum amount of the credit begins to phase out.


Reduced IRS Services Levels and IRS Customer Service

The Advocate expresses particular concern about IRS intentions regarding what is not stated in the plan.  “Implicit in the plan – and explicit in internal discussion – is an intention on the part of the IRS to substantially reduce telephone and face-to-face interaction with taxpayers,” the report says.  “The key unanswered question is by how much. . .It is incumbent upon the IRS to be much more specific about how much personal taxpayer assistance it expects to provide in its ‘future state.’”


IRS Online Accounts

The report says the IRS appears to presume taxpayer interactions with the IRS through online accounts will address a high percentage of taxpayer needs, enabling it to curtail existing taxpayer services without significantly impacting taxpayers.  The Future State plan also calls for expanding the role of tax return preparers and tax software companies in providing taxpayer assistance – an approach that likely would increase compliance costs for millions of taxpayers who now obtain that assistance from the IRS for free.

The IRS Future State plan could transform the role the agency has long played in helping taxpayers comply with their tax obligations, the report says.  The IRS historically has maintained a robust customer service telephone operation that, in every year since FY 2008, has received more than 100 million taxpayer telephone calls, as well as a network of nearly 400 walk-in sites that, in every year for over a decade, has provided face-to-face assistance to more than five million taxpayers.


Online IRS Registration

Online accounts are likely to reduce taxpayer demand for telephone and face-to-face interaction to some degree but are unlikely to be useful in addressing complex account-specific matters, the report says. “This is true for several reasons, including that millions of taxpayers do not have Internet access, millions of taxpayers with Internet access do not feel comfortable trying to resolve important financial matters over the Internet, and many taxpayer problems are not ‘cookie cutter,’ thus requiring a degree of back-and-forth discussion that is better suited for conversation.”  Last year, more than 9 million taxpayers either received post-filing IRS notices proposing to adjust their tax or experienced refund delays, all matters that are account-specific.


Where is my IRS Tax Refund?

Technology improvements often do not reduce demand for personal service to the extent expected, the report says. For example, the IRS over the past decade has increased the individual tax return e-filing rate from 54 percent to 85 percent, enhanced the Where’s My Refund? tool, and added substantial content to IRS.gov, yet the number of taxpayer calls to its customer service lines hasincreased by 59 percent.  Similarly, the report cites a recent Federal Reserve survey in which 72 percent of mobile banking customers reported they had visited a branch and spoken with a teller an average of two times within the preceding month. The report says customers often use online service as a supplement to, rather than a substitute for, personal service, particularly for complex matters.


IRS Reducing Taxpayer Services

In recent years, the IRS has already begun to reduce taxpayer services, including by declaring all but simple tax-law questions “out of scope” for the IRS to answer during the filing season; declaring it will not answer any tax-law questions after the filing season (including questions from millions of taxpayers with proper extensions of time to file); eliminating preparation of tax returns in its walk-in sites; and eliminating an online program that allowed taxpayers to submit questions electronically.

Contact Your Local Taxpayer Advocate

The taxpayer advocate service is an independent organization within the IRS and represent you before the IRS. Our job is to ensure that every taxpayer is treated fairly, and that you know and understand your rights as a taxpayer. We offer free help to guide you through a process somewhat confusing at times so you resolve problems that has been able to meet by itself. Remember, the worst thing you can do is to do nothing.

When to Contact Taxpayer Advocate Services

The taxpayer advocate service can help you if you could resolve your problem with the IRS:
  • This problem causes you financial hardship to you, your family, or your business.
  • You (or your business) is facing an immediate threat of adverse action.
  • You have tried repeatedly to contact the IRS but no one has answered, or the IRS has not answered for the date that was promised to receive response.


State Taxpayer Advocates

Each State has at least one taxpayer advocate local which is independent of the IRS Office and reports directly to the national taxpayer advocate. Select your State on the map below to find the phone number and address of the nearest office of the taxpayer advocate service. You can also call 1-877-777-4778, number free of charge, to investigate whether the taxpayer advocate service can help you.
If you are eligible for our help, we will do everything possible to solve your problem. You will assign you an advocate which will be there at every step of this process.


Toll-Free IRS Assistance

You can also call the Taxpayer Advocate Service toll-free at 1-877-777-4778, or fill out Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance, and fax or mail it to the address above.


Virtual IRS Help

Need help but don’t have a local Taxpayer Advocate Service office near you? We have a new option! TAS now offers virtual help through video conferencing.

How does this work?
You can go to the location listed below and use high-definition two-way video conferencing to get face-to-face help from a taxpayer advocate in another city. Similar to talking to a case advocate in person, this allows you to discuss your tax matters in a private setting.

Main IRS Taxpayer Advocate Offices

City Address Phone Fax
Andover 310 Lowell Street, Stop 120
Andover, MA 01810
978-474-5549 855-807-9700
Atlanta 4800 Buford Highway, Stop 29-A
Chamblee, GA 30341
770-936-4500 855-822-3420
Austin 3651 S. Interregional Highway, Stop 1005
Austin, TX 78741
512-460-8300 855-204-5023
Brookhaven 1040 Waverly Avenue, Stop 02
Holtsville, NY 11742
631-654-6686 855-818-5701
Cincinnati 201 Rivercenter Blvd., Stop 11G
Covington, KY 41011
859-669-5316 855-828-2723
Fresno 5045 East Butler Avenue, Stop 1394
Fresno, CA 93888
559-442-6400 855-820-7112
Kansas City 333 West Pershing, S-2 Stop 1005
Kansas City, MO 64108
816-291-9000 855-836-2835
Memphis 5333 Getwell Road, Stop 13
Memphis, TN 38118
901-395-1900 855-829-1821
Ogden 1973 N. Rulon White Blvd., Stop 1005
Ogden, UT 84404
801-620-7168 855-832-7126
Philadelphia 2970 Market St., Mail Stop 2 M20-300,
Philadelphia, PA 19104
267-941-2427 855-822-122

When Must Self-Employed File Taxes and Get EIN

When does a self-employed individual files taxes?

You have to file an income tax return if your net earnings from self-employment were $400 or more. If your net earnings from self-employment were less than $400, you still have to file an income tax return if you meet any other filing requirements listed in the Form 1040 instructions. So what if you work for somebody else and you’re also self-employed. If, in addition to your self-employment income you receive wages, then subtract those wages from your total income to figure out how much self-employment income is subject to the taxes.

What is Schedule SE?

If you have income subject to self-employment tax, figure the tax on Schedule SE. If you have more than one business, use one Schedule SE and combine the profits and losses from all of your businesses.

What is a Federal employer identification number or EIN?

As a business owner, you may be required to get a Federal employer identification number, commonly referred to as the EIN. The EIN identifies tax returns filed with the IRS. If you don’t have an EIN, you need to get one if you pay wages to employees, have a self-employed retirement plan, operate your business as a corporation or partnership, or are required to file any of these tax returns: employment, excise, judiciary, or alcohol, tobacco and firearms. The fastest and easiest way to get an EIN is online at www.irs.gov. Type EIN in the Search box.

Applying for an EIN Number on IRS Wesbite

The EIN is issued immediately once the application information is validated. EIN can also be obtained by mailing or faxing Form SS-4, the Application for Employer Identification Number. See the form instructions for details.

When you don’t need an EIN?

If you don’t need an EIN, generally you use your Social Security number as your taxpayer identification number. You must put this number on each of your individual tax forms, such as Form 1040 and its Schedules. If you must have an EIN, include it along with your Social Security number on your Schedule C or C-EZ.


Picking a Small Business Tax Preparer and IRA Tools

Tips of picking a Small Business CPA

Here are a few points to keep in mind when someone else prepares your return. Avoid preparers who claim that they can obtain larger refunds than other preparers. If your returns are prepared correctly, every preparer should derive substantially similar numbers. Beware of a preparer who guarantees results or who bases fees on the percentage of the amount of the refund. A paid preparer is required by law to sign your return and fill in the preparer area of the return.

What is a PTIN?

The paid preparer should also include the preparer tax identification number, or PTIN, on the return. Understand that most reputable preparers will request to see your receipts and will ask you multiple questions to determine your qualifications for expenses, deductions, and other items. By doing so, they have your best interests in mind and are trying to help you avoid penalties, interest, or additional taxes that could result from an IRS audit. Review the completed return to ensure all tax information — your name, address, and Social Security number — is complete and correct. Review and ensure you understand the entries and are comfortable with the accuracy of the return before you sign.

Signing a prepared tax return

Never sign a blank return and never sign in pencil. Unfortunately, unscrupulous tax return preparers do exist and can cause considerable financial and legal problems for their clients. Consider whether the preparer has any questionable history by asking questions and getting references from other businesses. Report suspicious actions by tax professionals to the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility. The e-mail address is: opr@irs.gov.

IRS Tools and Information

Now let’s talk about some online learning tools available on the IRS Video Portal at www.irsvideos.gov. The portal contains numerous presentations on topics of interest to small businesses and individuals, along with the archived versions to webinars like this one.Especially helpful is Small Business Taxes: The Virtual Workshop. The workshop is composed of nine interactive lessons designed to help new small business owners learn their tax rights and responsibilities. IRS.gov is also an indispensable resource for information you’ll need to meet and comply with all of your Federal tax obligations

IRS 2016 Income Tax Brackets and Rates

What are the 2016 income tax rates?

Each year, the IRS uses the Consumer Price Index (CPI) to calculate the past year’s inflation and adjusts income thresholds, deduction amounts, and credit values accordingly. For 2016 income tax brackets, inflation was relatively low and they were not increased much more past the 2015 income tax brackets. The IRS announced the annual inflation adjustments for a number of provisions for the year 2016, including tax rate schedules, tax tables and cost-of-living adjustments for certain tax items. This will affect many numbers used to determine tax liabilities.

Remember, you’ll use these tax brackets and tax rates when paying your 2016 taxes in early 2017. Furthermore, with the recent presidential election, President Donald Trump could change tax rates. This could go into effect for 2017 and replace these tax rates if Trump’s tax changes are passed through congress.


2016 Income Tax Brackets and Rates

In tax year 2016, the income limits for all brackets and all filers will be adjusted for inflation and you can see information on the specific information about 2016 tax rates on the table below. As you can see, the top marginal income tax rate of 39.6 percent will hit taxpayers with adjusted gross income of $415,050 and higher for single filers and $466,950 and higher for married filers.


2016 Taxable Income Brackets and Rates
Tax Rate Single Filers Married Joint Filers Head of Household Filers


$0 to $9,275 $0 to $18,550 $0 to $13,250


$9,275 to $37,650 $18,550 to $75,300 $13,250 to $50,400


$37,650 to $91,150 $75,300 to $151,900 $50,400 to $130,150


$91,150 to $190,150 $151,900 to $231,450 $130,150 to $210,800


$190,150 to $413,350 $231,450 to $413,350 $210,800 to $413,350


$413,350 to $415,050 $413,350 to $466,950 $413,350 to $441,000


$415,050+ $466,950+ $441,000+
Source: Author’s Calculations.

2016 Standard Deduction and Personal Exemption

Again, the standard deduction that taxpayers are able to take on their tax returns is also indexed for inflation and changes for. The 2016 standard deduction for single and married couples filing jointly will not increase in 2016. This is same standard deduction for 2015. For taxpayers filing as head of household, it will increase by $50 from $9,250 to $9,300. This is a very small amount for the standard deduction to increase in 2016. Since there was not inflation in 2015, many tax items such as the standard deduction and personal exemption will not change in 2016.


2016 Personal Exemption will be $4,050.

Table 2. 2016 Standard Deduction and Personal Exemption
Filing Status Deduction Amount
Single  $6,300.00
Married Filing Jointly  $12,600.00
Head of Household  $9,300.00
Personal Exemption  $4,050.00


Remember, that these are estimates from the Tax Foundation. The actual 2016 income tax brackets could change depending on how the IRS interprets this information. It is best to wait until official IRS income tax brackets are released before making any tax planning decisions.


2016 Earned Income Credit Amount

2016’s maximum Earned Income Tax Credit for singles, heads of households, and joint filers is $506, if the filer has no children. The credit is $3,373 for one child, $5,572 for two children, and $6,268 for three or more children.


Other tax adjustments for 2016 Tax Year

In addition to the tax brackets and exemption and deduction amounts, there were some other inflation-related tax changes that could potentially affect you:

  • The maximum Earned Income Credit is $6,269, up from $6,242 in 2015.
  • The AGI threshold for the Lifetime Learning Credit is up $1,000 to $111,000 for joint filers.
  • The foreign income exclusion is up $500 to $101,300 for the 2016 tax year.
  • The estate-tax exclusion amount for people who die in 2016 has increased to $5.45 million, up from $5.43 million in 2015.
  • The gift tax exclusion will remain at $14,000

Information on 2015 tax rates and the 2015 standard deduction

Information About Taxes for Residents of Puerto Rico

If you are a citizen or resident alien of the United States and a resident bona fide of Puerto Rico during the tax year around , usually you are not required to file a federal tax return on income if your only source of income is in Puerto Rico. 


Income from Sources Outside of Puerto Rico

However, if you also have income from sources outside of Puerto Rico, including sources in the US. UU., You are required to file a federal tax return on income if the amount exceeds the minimum to pay payroll in the United States. However, a resident bona fide of Puerto Rico with the obligation to file tax return in the United States, usually not declare their income from sources in Puerto Rico in said US payroll. For people filing return according to the calendar year, the tax year is from January 1 to December 31.


Bona Fide Residents of Puerto Rico

If you are a resident bona fide of Puerto Rico and may exclude their income from sources within Puerto Rico from the tax return of the United States, have to determine your filing requirement adjusted based on the limits set out the requirements for filing indicated in the instructions for your tax return. For more information on how to determine what amount of income that would force him to file a federal tax return on income, see Publication 570 and Publication 1321.


Information for Residents of Puerto Rico

However, if you are a resident of Puerto Rico and government employee of the United States, including members of the Armed Forces of the United States, also have to file a tax return on income to declare all income received for serving the US Government. UU. In addition, special rules apply to civilian spouses of active duty members of the Armed Forces of the United States. UU.working in Puerto Rico but retain their residence status for purposes of contributions in one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia and have the same tax residence had their spouses before moving under the Relief Act Residence for Spouses Military ( MSRRA , for its acronym in English). If these spouses earn compensation while working in Puerto Rico, for example, wages, salaries, tips, or self-employment, only have to file a federal tax return on income of the United States to declare that income. For more information on how MSRRA applies to civilian spouses, see Publication 570 and Notice 2012-41

Non-Residents of Puerto Rico

Citizens or resident aliens of the United States who are not residents bona fide of Puerto Rico during the entire tax year, are required to report on your tax federal taxes on income, income from any source. However, if a US citizen changed his residence from Puerto Rico to the United States and was a resident bona fide of Puerto Rico at least two years before changing residence, you can exclude from your federal income tax return, income from Puerto Rican sources that can be attributed while still lived in Puerto Rico for part of the year.


Filing Tax Returns in Puerto Rico

If a resident bona fide of Puerto Rico does not have to file the return of federal taxes on income in the United States, you may still have to file a return in the United States to declare income from self-employment. derived from a trade or business in Puerto Rico or elsewhere. These people have to take the Form 1040-SS or Form 1040 in the United States to declare the income of self-employed and, if necessary, pay tax on self-employment. For more information on the reporting requirements of self-employment, see the instructions for Form 1040-SS and the instructions for Form 1040.

Common 2015 Tax Errors to Avoid This Year

Before you file your return, review it and make sure it is complete and correct. The following checklist can help you avoid common mistakes:


Errors Filing Taxes Electronically

Did you consider filing your taxes electronically? When filing your taxes electronically, you can avoid many common errors, which are corrected by the computer program. Depending on your income, you may qualify to use free electronic filing system of the IRS. Free File More information about the “e-file” is available on the website of the IRS .


Entering Mistakes on Tax Forms

Did you write the statement in print and clearly, or print your name, Social Security number and address including postal code in the tax return ? Note: If you are married but filing separately, do not include the name of your spouse designated for the name, address and Social Security number in the declaration fields.

Did you write down the names and Social Security numbers for yourself, your spouse (if they make a joint return), their dependents and children qualified for purposes of the earned income credit or child tax credit, exactly like those names and numbers are on Social Security cards? If there has been any change of name, be sure to contact the Social Security Administration, accessing http://www.ssa.gov/r by calling 1-800-772-1213.


Mistakes with Tax Exemptions

Did you check only one filing status declaration? Did you check the appropriate boxes exemption for all dependents claimed by you and scored the names and Social Security numbers exactly as those names and numbers are on the Social Security card for each person? Do I indicate the number full of exemptions claimed?


Mistakes on Tax Calculations

Did you write down the income, deductions and credits on the right lines? Are the totals correct? If your tax return shows a negative amount, did you write in the brackets? If you take the standard deduction and marked the boxes that indicate you or your spouse are age 65 or older or is blind, scored the correct standard deduction using the worksheet contained on the tax return? Did you correctly calculated the tax? If you used the correct tax tables for year 2014? Did you use the correct column for your filing status declaration?


Forgetting to Sign a Tax Return

Did you sign and date the return? If a joint return, does your spouse also signed and dated the declaration? Do you have a Form W-2 from each of your employers and attached to your statement Copy B of each Form W-2? If you have more than one job, combine wages and withholding taxes of all Forms W-2 to receive and report these amounts in a single statement. Did you append each Form 1099-R showing federal withholding tax? Did you attach to your return all required schedules and forms in sequence numerical order as shown in the upper right corner?


Correct Mailing Address with Tax Return

Did you use the correct mailing address to send your return, which can be found in the corresponding instruction booklet to your tax form? Did you include the corresponding postmark on the envelope? If you owe taxes, did you include a check or money order payable to “United States Treasury” with the return? Did you write on the check or money order, your name, address, Social Security number, phone number where we can reach you during the day, the tax form used and the tax year? If you receive a refund and requested direct deposit, did you check account numbers and circulation or transit of your bank? Did you keep a copy of the signed and dated tax return and all schedules and attachments for your records?


Some of the most common tax returns errors are:

  1. Social Security numbers missing or incorrect.
  2. The tax does not match recorded taxable income and filing status of the statement indicated in the statement.
  3. Miscalculations in determining taxable income, withholding and estimated tax payments, the Earned Income Tax Credit, the standard deduction for being age 65 or older or be blind, the taxable amount of Social Security benefits and credit care expenses for child and dependent. Furthermore, the identification numbers of child care providers are omitted or are incorrect.
  4. Withholding and estimated tax payments are recorded in the wrong line.
  5. Mathematical errors, both sum and subtraction.


Fixing Common Tax Return Errors

It is important to review the full statement as an error could delay the processing for a long time.


Health Care Law Affects 2014 Tax Returns – Free Tax Help Available

Beginning with tax year 2014, certain provisions of the Affordable Care Act Affordable affect the federal taxes that most people pay. Most taxpayers will have to simply check a box on their tax reporting medical coverage throughout 2014 for those on your tax return. Some have noted that were eligible for an exemption from coverage. While others have to calculate the payment of shared responsibility for individuals and add it to your tax return.

The IRS has several options to help you file your tax return. File a return electronically is the easiest way to file a complete and accurate tax. Options to file your return electronically includes free help from volunteers , IRS Free File to taxpayers who qualify , commercial software and professional assistance.


Tax Assistance Volunteers (VITA)

Every year millions of people use volunteers to prepare them their free tax. These volunteers are part of the program Voluntary Aid Taxpayers (VITA, for its acronym in English) and Tax Counseling Program for Older Elderly (TCE, for its acronym in English). The IRS sponsors two programs and works with community groups to train and certify volunteers.

The use VITA and TCE programs helps ensure that your taxes are prepared accurately, including provisions relating to the Health Care Act as the premium tax credit and exemptions from coverage.


IRS Free File 

IRS Free FIle program provides easy to use taxes or fillable forms. IRS Free File is a partnership between the IRS and the Free File Alliance. The Alliance is a group of companies tax programs in the private sector who make their products available for free.

The only way to use IRS Free File is through the IRS website. Once you choose the company’s Free File, you will go to the website of the company to prepare, print and electronically file your taxes.


How to get Taxes Filed for Free?

The format of questions and answers tax preparation software Free File will help you find credits and deductions to which you may be eligible to claim. The program selects the appropriate tax forms and does the math for you.

Taxpayers who earn $ 60,000 or less can use a tax preparation program brand. If you earned more than that, you can use the Free File Fillable Forms. This option uses the electronic versions of IRS paper forms.


Professional Assistance for Filing Taxes

Many people hire professionals when filing your tax return. If you pay someone to prepare your federal taxes, the IRS encourages you choose this person carefully. Even if you do not prepare their own taxes, you are legally responsible for the information in the statement. Some tips to keep in mind when choosing a tax preparer include:

Ratings Trainer – Make sure Id have a Tax Preparer

  • Fees for Service – Avoid preparers who base their fee on a percentage of your refund
  • File Electronically – Make sure your preparer electronically filing
  • Available – Make sure your preparer will be available after the deadline for filing taxes in case of any questions about your statement

The IRS recently released a tax preparer directory that provides a list showing the name, city, state and zip code of attorneys, certified public accountants, agents and those who completed the requirements for the Annual Program Tax Season, which is voluntary. All coaches on this list have a number of preparer valid for 2015 taxes.


Filing Tax Return on Time

It is important that you file a complete and accurate statement to avoid delays with your return. If your return includes errors or incomplete you may need further review and this delay your refund. IRS E-File is the best way to present an accurate statement. The tax preparation program you use to electronically file helps you avoid errors when doing the math for you and guides you through each step in preparing your taxes. IRS e-file can also help with the tax provisions of the new health care law.